How can I protect myself from swine flu?

The best way to protect yourself from the H1N1 virus (also called swine flu) is to get the seasonal flu vaccine. The vaccine contains the three flu strains most likely to cause sickness each year. Every year since the 2009 swine flu pandemic, the vaccine has included the H1N1 strain.

Beyond getting a flu shot, experts recommend protecting yourself by:
  • washing your hands frequently with soap and water
  • using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer when soap and water are not available
  • keeping your hands away from your eyes, mouth, and nose
  • steering clear of anyone who is sick

Aside from a vaccine, protecting against the swine flu is similar to guarding against seasonal flu. Both viruses are spread from person to person through an uncovered cough or sneeze. So the easiest thing to do is cover your nose and mouth when you sneeze or cough, preferably with an elbow. Throw away used tissues immediately. Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. Wash your hands often with soap and water, or use alcohol-based hand sanitizers. If someone in your household is sick, keep that person in one room of the house, wipe down surfaces with household disinfectant and make sure the rest of the household washes hands often. Any caregiver can wear a tight-fitting surgical mask to avoid the airborne virus and should be careful handling the sick person's laundry do not hug it close when carrying it. If you feel ill, quarantine yourself: no errands, school or work for seven days after symptoms begin, or until you have been symptom-free for 24 hours.

Continue Learning about H1N1 (Swine Flu)

Is swine flu life-threatening?
Swine flu (also called H1N1 flu), like any flu infection, can be life-threatening for people who...
Can I get sick after receiving a seasonal flu shot or H1N1 vaccine?
Marshelya D. Wilson, MDMarshelya D. Wilson, MD
Yes, some people can get sick even after receiving the flu vaccine. This is because the vaccine's e...
Is swine flu serious?
Swine flu (also called H1N1 flu) can be serious for people who are in certain high-risk categori...
What caused the swine flu pandemic of 2009?
The swine flu pandemic of 2009 came from the H1N1 virus. This particular strain of H1N1 containe...