What is the point of swimming with closed fists?

Some swimmers incorporate fist gloves or even hold a ball in their hand when swimming. They are using this technique to work on body position for propulsion in the water, as opposed to relying on their hand for the pull. Fist gloves also help increase the feel of the pull with the forearm. Swimming with fist gloves or holding a ball for 25-50 meters can be a helpful activity in a warm up to work on body position and forearm pulling as it isolates these components of the stroke by removing the dependence on the hand for the pull. Segmenting a swim stroke into its multiple components helps to fine tune minor modifications that can be implemented to help the overall swim stroke, speed and efficiency. This is one such activity that isolates a particular component of the swim stroke to maximize its precision, so that when full stroke swimming is practiced, the swimmer will reap the benefits of their more effective, efficient and powerful stroke adjustment.

Continue Learning about Swimming

How do I make sense of my swim workouts?
It is important to understand the “lingo” when approaching a swim workout. Standard swimming poo...
What are some workouts that target technique and speed in swimming?
The best workouts combine both drilling and swimming, as this method enables you to practice you...
The Best Exercise for a Healthy Back
The Best Exercise for a Healthy Back
3 Tips to Prevent Swimmer's Ear
3 Tips to Prevent Swimmer's Ear