How do I practice front quadrant swimming?

Front quadrant swimming refers to the upper portion of the body, the arms and the head. A longer vessel is faster in the water. So when swimmers can make themselves as long as possible, by keeping their one arm out stretched, overhead, they will be less likely to drop their hips, which creates drag and slows a swimmer down. When swimming freestyle, it is imperative that an athlete switches their arms from right to left overhead. Speeding up this switch, and keeping one arm overhead for as long as possible, will increase an athlete's speed in the water. An excellent way to practice this technique is to do a drill called, catch up. What this drill emphasizes is keeping one arm overhead until the opposite arm comes to meet it. To do this activity have an athlete swim freestyle, but have them hold their arm out overhead until the opposite arm comes up and taps the bottom arm, thus releasing it down. Swim free-style, but don’t drop the extended arm until the other arm essentially taps it out. This drill is not only difficult mentally, it requires a swimmer to pay attention to what they are doing, it is also fatiguing physically as an athlete is asked to keep their arm outstretched longer than they are accustomed to. This is an excellent drill to emphasize front quadrant swimming, but because of the demanding nature of it, two to four sets of 50 meters is often ample for athletes.

Continue Learning about Swimming

I get tired at the end of my swim set and slow down, how can I fix this?
It is not uncommon to reach a level of fatigue, both mentally and physically, at the end of a sw...
Is the butterfly stroke bad for my shoulder?
Aaron Nelson Aaron Nelson
Swimming is an event or exercise that incorporates the entire body (upper, lower and core). Repetiti...
Best Workouts to Fight Fibromyalgia Pain and Fatigue
The Best Exercise for a Healthy Back
The Best Exercise for a Healthy Back