What is the best way to stretch my shoulders before I swim?

Swimming relies heavily on the musculature of your shoulder, so it is very important to warm up and stretch before performing intense swim sets. There are a number of muscles in the shoulder complex. As such one stretch will not reach all involved muscles, however, a few key stretches will adequately prepare you for your swim workouts. Start with the cross arm shoulder stretch. To perform this activity stand up tall, feet shoulder width or slightly wider, abs engaged to protect your low back and bring your right arm up to shoulder level. Extend your right elbow straight and hook your left arm around your right arm just above your right elbow. Pull the extended right arm towards your body using the strength in your left arm. Avoid twisting your upper body and instead keep your shoulders squared straight with your hips. Hold the stretch for five seconds and then release and shake out your right arm to bring rich oxygenated blood back to your shoulder area. Repeat at least five times for your right arm and then switch to your left arm, holding the stretch for five seconds, shaking out the arm and then repeating for five times. This stretch will target your deltoid muscle, your triceps, your rhomboids and some of the smaller rotator cuff muscles around your scapula. You should feel looser in your shoulder joint once you have completed the stretching sequence.

Continue Learning about Swimming

What are swim tubing drills?
Swim tubing drills can be an excellent way to simulate swimming when you are unable to get to a ...
How do I practice keeping my alignment when I breathe while swimming?
It is very important to maintain proper body alignment when rolling to breathe during the freest...
3 Tips to Prevent Swimmer's Ear
3 Tips to Prevent Swimmer's Ear
Best Workouts to Fight Fibromyalgia Pain and Fatigue