How long should I wait after eating before I swim?

Rosendo I. Collazo, DO
No one seems to know exactly how the classic parental myth to wait an hour after eating before even getting close to a pool, the lake or the beach got started. The myth seems to have surged in the 1950s and 1960s, when water-safety concerns were much more lax and there were fewer lifeguards watching out for swimmers in peril.It's true that blood flows to our stomachs to absorb nutrients after eating a big meal, but there is plenty of blood left over to deliver oxygen and remove waste products elsewhere in the body. This competing demand for blood does not cause cramps that can be dangerous for swimming. 

That said, it is widely recommended to wait at least two to three hours after a normal meal before engaging in exercise to allow food to run its course through the stomach. But this depends entirely on the individual and how much was eaten.

Continue Learning about Swimming

What is the best way to simulate open water swimming in the pool?
Grab 2-3 of your closest friends (well, at least your buddies who swim).Warm-up: Swim on your bu...
What are some swim sets for strength?
Here are three workouts that focus on swim strength by incorporating pulling and paddles into th...
3 Tips to Prevent Swimmer's Ear
3 Tips to Prevent Swimmer's Ear
Best Workouts to Fight Fibromyalgia Pain and Fatigue