How can I be a more powerful swimmer?

Working on developing strength in the core is central to swim speed, strength and stamina. A proper swim stroke is propelled by the core, not by the arms, so it is essential that a swimmer has a solid core from which their swim stroke is propelled. Pilates, yoga and abdominal work either on a stability ball or off are all excellent options for developing core strength. Sit-ups on a stability ball, obliques and bicycle crunches on the floor are all wonderful additions to any core routine. As are planks. To perform a plank, come into a pushup position on your forearms as opposed to your hands. Keep your palms flat on the floor and press your shoulder blades away from each other widening your back. Keep your abdominals engaged and your hips up, but not too high. Your torso should be in one straight line from your toes to your shoulders, so your hips should neither dip, nor pop up. Hold the plank, breathing, for three repetitions of thirty seconds. As that becomes easier, increase the length of your hold to forty five seconds and then sixty seconds. Be sure to breath throughout each exercise and be mindful of your hip placement and the breadth in your upper back, avoiding sinking into the shoulders.

Continue Learning about Swimming

Is swimming bad for my shoulder?
Aaron Nelson Aaron Nelson
Swimming is a great exercise for the entire body. The water can be therapeutic and help unload joint...
How do I practice keeping my elbow high in freestyle swimming?
Swimmers often will hear that they are dropping their elbow in a freestyle stroke. What this mea...
3 Tips to Prevent Swimmer's Ear
3 Tips to Prevent Swimmer's Ear
The Best Exercise for a Healthy Back
The Best Exercise for a Healthy Back