Who is a candidate for sleeve gastrectomy?

Dr. Paul R. Kemmeter, MD
Bariatric Medicine (Obesity Medicine) Specialist

Candidates for sleeve gastrectomy include obese people with a body mass index (BMI) over 40, or a BMI over 35 with a serious health problem linked to obesity, such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, or severe sleep apnea . People with a high BMI are more susceptible to and suffer from detrimental health issues like diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, sleep apnea and more. Studies show risk of an early death for those struggling with obesity are twice that of a non-obese person.

While the procedure puts people on a path to maintaining a healthy weight, the onus remains with them in keeping with diet and exercise long after the surgery is over.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

What You Need to Know About Anesthesia
What You Need to Know About Anesthesia
If you’re planning to undergo surgery or a medical procedure in the near future, you probably have questions. People often wonder if their procedure w...
How does my skin type affect surgical scarring?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
One important component to surgical scarring is the amount of pigmentation and melanin in the skin. ...
What happens during robotic spine surgery?
Reston Hospital CenterReston Hospital Center
The most common application of robotic spine surgery is putting screws in, so it's not much differen...
What Factors Should I Consider When Having Multiple Plastic Surgeries?