When can a child return to playing sports after orthopedic surgery?

Return to play following orthopedic surgery for a child is completely based on the type and location of the surgery, as well as the sport being played. It is therefore important to discuss the time frame with the child's surgeon. It is often common practice for a child to start to return to play or practice at a lower threshold of speed, power, etc., in order to build strength and agility prior to returning to competitive play.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

Tips to Help You Prepare for Surgery
Tips to Help You Prepare for Surgery
According to sports psychologist John Murray, PhD., the more success an athlete has achieved, the more likely it is that he or she will experience dep...
What's the Best Time of Day for Surgery?
Is Disk Replacement Safe?
Is Disk Replacement Safe?
What Factors Should I Consider When Having Multiple Plastic Surgeries?