What are some of the complications of femoral osteotomy (FO)?

Major complications of femoral osteotomy (FO) can include infection, nonunion of bone, neurovascular injury, postoperative pain, inability to obtain or maintain a full correction and continued degeneration of cartilage.

Deep vein thrombosis and painful hardware are other possible complications.

However, there is only about a 1 percent likelihood of any of these complications developing.

Overall, hip range of motion, pain, gait, leg-length discrepancy and patient satisfaction generally are improved from femoral osteotomy. A successful surgery also may reduce or even eliminate the need for a total hip replacement (THR) at some point in the patient's life.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

What You Need to Know About Anesthesia
What You Need to Know About Anesthesia
If you’re planning to undergo surgery or a medical procedure in the near future, you probably have questions. People often wonder if their procedure w...
How do I prepare for spinal nerve decompression surgery?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Take these steps to help your spinal nerve decompression surgery (a surgery to take pressure off com...
How can I lower my risk of nausea and vomiting after surgery?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Through the development of better anesthetics and nausea prevention medications, the number of patie...
What's the Best Time of Day for Surgery?