What is an endoscopic biliary stenting?

Endoscopic biliary stenting can alleviate blockages in the bile duct (the tube that drains bile from the liver into the small intestine).

The procedure is called endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography, or ERCP for short. During the procedure sedation is required. While the patient is sedated a special endoscope is passed through the mouth and down to the small intestine. The opening of the bile duct, the ampulla, is identified. A small flexible wire is carefully advanced into the bile duct. A small cut is made on the ampulla to allow for the stent to be placed. Following which a stent, plastic or metal, can be placed safely in the bile duct. The stent will "prop" the bile duct open to allow bile to flow normally.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

What You Need to Know About Anesthesia
What You Need to Know About Anesthesia
If you’re planning to undergo surgery or a medical procedure in the near future, you probably have questions. People often wonder if their procedure w...
Is disk replacement safe?
Disk replacement surgery for lower back pain has significant risks, including damage to blood vessel...
What advantages does the Bernese PAO have over other surgical procedures?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The Bernese periacetabular osteotomy (PAO) has numerous advantages to recommend it. They include:It ...
What Factors Should I Consider When Having Multiple Plastic Surgeries?