What is a colpopexy?

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

A colpopexy is a surgical procedure to re-suspend the colpus (vagina) into the abdomen. This is the surgery that is used for pelvic organ prolapse in which the vagina is prolapsing into the vaginal canal or outside the opening of the vagina. There are numerous ways to perform a colpopexy. One way is to use sutures, so as to re-suspend the vagina. Other methods use polypropylene or biologic graft material, so as to re-suspend the apex of the vagina.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

Busting Organ Donation Myths
Busting Organ Donation Myths
This summer Jeni Stepien walked down the aisle in Swissvale, PA, arm-in-arm with the man whose life was saved 10 years ago by her murdered father’s do...
What are the benefits of hand transplant surgery?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
The potential benefits of hand transplant surgery are unique and life changing. Here are a few o...
What are the potential benefits of spinal nerve decompression surgery?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Potential benefits of spinal nerve decompression surgery (a surgery to take pressure off compressed,...
What Factors Should I Consider When Having Multiple Plastic Surgeries?