What are the benefits of minimally invasive surgery?

The main benefit of minimally invasive surgery is that it allows patients to address conditions much earlier in the onset of disease. Watch cardiothoracic surgeon David Greuner, MD, describe how this surgical method is revolutionary for patients.

Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgeon

Minimally invasive surgery is also referred to as "laparoscopic surgery." The surgeon will use several very small incisions to place cannulas, camera and instruments to perform the surgery. There is normally less blood loss, less post-operative pain and reduced down time. Hospital stays are also greatly reduced. As a result the larger open surgeries with the long scar are avoided. Images from the camera (endoscope) are seen the screen and instruments are passed through the other small incisions to perform the operation.

Dr. Rochelle M. Brandon, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

By using minimally invasive surgery (MIS) techniques, patients can have many benefits over traditional surgeries. They include:

• Less pain: MIS procedures cause less postoperative pain and discomfort. Studies have shown that patients undergoing MIS procedures report less pain and require smaller doses of pain relievers than patients undergoing traditional surgeries.
  • Shorter hospital stay: Shorter hospital stay and quicker return to normal activities. Patients who undergo MIS procedures are usually able to go home sooner, and, in many cases, the patient is able to return to normal activities and work more quickly.
  • Less scarring: MIS procedures require smaller incisions, which mean smaller, less noticeable scars. The scars that do form as a result of MIS typically have a less jagged edge, giving them a more appealing look.
  • Less injury to tissue: Most traditional surgeries require a long incision. This incision usually has to be made through muscle. Muscle needs a significant time to heal after surgery. Because there are no long incisions in MIS, surgeons often do not have to cut through muscles to complete the procedure—leading to less tissue damage and quicker recovery.
  • Higher accuracy rate: A higher accuracy rate for most procedures. Because MIS procedures use video-assisted equipment, the surgeon has better visualization and magnification of internal organs and structure. For patients, this translates into a more accurate and definitive procedure.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

Busting Organ Donation Myths
Busting Organ Donation Myths
This summer Jeni Stepien walked down the aisle in Swissvale, PA, arm-in-arm with the man whose life was saved 10 years ago by her murdered father’s do...
When should I call my doctor after nasal surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
After your nasal surgery, contact your doctor right away if you have:Change in visionFever over 101 ...
What type of nasal surgery can help treat repeated sinus infections?
Surgery is not typically the answer when trying to treat repeated sinus infections (sinusitis), but ...
What Factors Should I Consider When Having Multiple Plastic Surgeries?