What is an osteotomy?

Osteotomies can maintain the natural bone, while realigning the weight-bearing surfaces of the joint. Osteotomies can be performed on the thigh bone and on the pelvic bone, or both. A surgery performed on the femoral side of the joint is called a femoral osteotomy. One done on the acetabulum side is called a pelvic or innominate osteotomy.

Osteotomy is a procedure in which a doctor surgically adjusts the alignment of bones to relieve stress on the bone or joint. It's often recommended for younger patients, who may not be candidates for joint replacement because it slows the progression of osteoarthritis and brings considerable pain relief. In this procedure, the knee is opened and the bone is reshaped. It is important to understand that the final results are determined not only by the surgery but also by the success of the rehabilitation that follows surgery. Successful rehabilitation requires high motivation to endure intensive exercise and physical therapy.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

Scared About Surgery? Here’s How to Ease the Fear
You might be surprised by the power a Popsicle can wield when it comes to reassuring kids who need surgery. That’s a tip from Alexander Soutter, MD, ...
Do I need to stop taking medications before deep brain stimulation surgery?
Nader Pouratian, MDNader Pouratian, MD
The surgery or the stimulation works best when people are off their medications. For the day of surg...
When should I call my doctor after nasal surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
After your nasal surgery, contact your doctor right away if you have:Change in visionFever over 101 ...
Is Disk Replacement Safe?
Is Disk Replacement Safe?