How does my skin type affect surgical scarring?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
One important component to surgical scarring is the amount of pigmentation and melanin in the skin. Ethnicity plays a large role in certain types of scars as well. In general, patients of Latin American, Korean, Japanese, African American, and Middle Eastern descent have more pigmentation and darkening of the skin, which may increase the risks of scarring. They may experience both darkening as well as keloid (raised scar) and/or hypertrophic scars.
The Beverly Hills Shape: The Truth About Plastic Surgery

Dr. Stuart Linder, Diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery, specializes in body sculpting procedures in the heart of Beverly Hills, California. Dr. Linder has trained in both general...

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

Tips to Help You Prepare for Surgery
Tips to Help You Prepare for Surgery
According to sports psychologist John Murray, PhD., the more success an athlete has achieved, the more likely it is that he or she will experience dep...
Scared About Surgery? Here’s How to Ease the Fear
You might be surprised by the power a Popsicle can wield when it comes to reassuring kids who need surgery. That’s a tip from Alexander Soutter, MD, ...
What's the Best Time of Day for Surgery?
What Factors Should I Consider When Having Multiple Plastic Surgeries?