Are there procedures when a patient is not under general anesthesia?

Not using general anesthesia is limited to minimally invasive procedures that rely on sedation and local anesthetics.

There are many procedures that can be safely performed for a patient who is not under general anesthesia. These procedures can be performed with local anesthesia with minimal discomfort to the patient. Local anesthesia is generally considered to have less risk and therefore preferred in many cases.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

Tips to Help You Prepare for Surgery
Tips to Help You Prepare for Surgery
According to sports psychologist John Murray, PhD., the more success an athlete has achieved, the more likely it is that he or she will experience dep...
What are the benefits of hand transplant surgery?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
The potential benefits of hand transplant surgery are unique and life changing. Here are a few o...
What happens after a Wada test?
The following occurs after a Wada test -- a routine procedure for patients who are being evaluat...
What Factors Should I Consider When Having Multiple Plastic Surgeries?