How should I prepare for my nasal surgery?

To help your nasal surgery and recovery go better, take these steps:
  • Quit smoking. If you smoke, try to stop before your surgery. Nonsmokers have fewer complications related to surgery.
  • Tell your doctor about all the medications and supplements you take. This includes prescriptions, over-the-counter medications, and supplements. Your doctor will tell you if you need to stop any medications before your surgery.
  • Arrange for a ride. Ask someone to drive you to and from the hospital.
  • Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before the surgery.
You will be admitted to the hospital on the day of the surgery. As you get ready to enter the hospital:
  • Bring a list of all your current medications with you to the hospital. This includes over-the-counter medications and vitamins.
  • Tell your doctor if you are ill. If you have a cold, flu, or other illness the day of the procedure, make sure your doctor knows.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

Tips to Help You Prepare for Surgery
Tips to Help You Prepare for Surgery
According to sports psychologist John Murray, PhD., the more success an athlete has achieved, the more likely it is that he or she will experience dep...
When should I go to the emergency room after a Wada test?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Go to the emergency room immediately if you experience any of the following after a Wada test -- a r...
What are the risks involved in stapedectomy surgery?
David M. Vernick, MDDavid M. Vernick, MD
The major risks of stapedectomy are hearing loss, dizziness, and change in taste to part of the tong...
Is Disk Replacement Safe?
Is Disk Replacement Safe?