Is anorectal surgery performed in a hospital?

If your anorectal surgery is for benign disease, such as hemorrhoids, fissures, or fistulae, you will probably be treated on an outpatient basis, unless it is late in the day or you have other medical problems that will mandate inpatient care. If your surgery involves a large excision or an anastomosis (the joining of two pieces of bowel), you will be admitted to the hospital to ensure there is no excessive bleeding, no leakage, and adequate pain control.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

Scared About Surgery? Here’s How to Ease the Fear
You might be surprised by the power a Popsicle can wield when it comes to reassuring kids who need surgery. That’s a tip from Alexander Soutter, MD, ...
When should I go to the emergency room after a Wada test?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Go to the emergency room immediately if you experience any of the following after a Wada test -- a r...
How long can I delay scheduling surgery for an aneurysm?
Matthew R. Reynolds, DOMatthew R. Reynolds, DO
In this video, Matthew Reynolds, DO from Largo Medical Center explains the different factors that in...
What Type of Plastic Surgeries Can Be Combined?