How will my surgical team keep track of how I'm doing during my operation?

Your surgical team will keep track of how you're doing during your operation by using special machines that send information to monitors. Because anesthesia makes your whole body go to sleep, these machines do your body's work for you.

You’ll have a machine that’s attached to your finger called a pulse oximeter that shows how much oxygen is in your blood. If it says you need extra oxygen, you’ll get it through a mask that covers your mouth and nose. You’ll also have a heart monitor that tells how fast your heart is beating, and a cuff, wrapped around your upper arm, that will measure your blood pressure.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

Tips to Help You Prepare for Surgery
Tips to Help You Prepare for Surgery
According to sports psychologist John Murray, PhD., the more success an athlete has achieved, the more likely it is that he or she will experience dep...
How is robotic surgery used to treat urologic disorders?
Dr. Robert E. Reiter, MDDr. Robert E. Reiter, MD
In urology, technological advances in robotic surgery have broadened doctors' capabilities. Here are...
What follow-up care is needed after face transplant surgery?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Following their discharge, face transplant patients will need to return to Brigham and Women's Hospi...
What Factors Should I Consider When Having Multiple Plastic Surgeries?