How successful is stapedectomy surgery?

Eric E. Smouha, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)

In general, the operation is successful in restoring hearing in nine out of ten cases. In most cases, the gain in hearing is permanent. In about one in ten cases, there is no improvement in the hearing. There are about two chances in 100 of permanent hearing loss. There is about one chance in 100 that hearing loss would be so severe that a hearing aid could not be used.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

Tips to Help You Prepare for Surgery
Tips to Help You Prepare for Surgery
According to sports psychologist John Murray, PhD., the more success an athlete has achieved, the more likely it is that he or she will experience dep...
What are the potential side effects of colorectal surgery?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
Potential side effects of surgery depend on several factors, including the extent of the operation a...
What is keyhole surgery?
SCAISCAI
Keyhole surgery is any surgery that is performed through a very small incision. Physicians are incre...
What Factors Should I Consider When Having Multiple Plastic Surgeries?