How can I manage pain after colorectal surgery?

In the immediate postoperative period of colorectal surgery, you will receive some form of analgesia that you can control, termed Patient Controlled Anesthesia ("PCA"). This may be a device with a button you push to deliver intravenous medication to yourself, or in the form of an epidural catheter, with the same opportunity to self-administer additional pain medication. The epidural catheter is similar to that placed in women who are in labor and is very safe. It seems to block the input of pain sensation, and therefore, if effective, will block the response to pain. Once you are able to take pain medicine by mouth, these other methods will be removed. Interim forms of pain management include intravenous or intramuscular injections given by the nursing staff.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

Tips to Help You Prepare for Surgery
Tips to Help You Prepare for Surgery
According to sports psychologist John Murray, PhD., the more success an athlete has achieved, the more likely it is that he or she will experience dep...
Why is deep brain stimulation surgery performed while I am awake?
Nader Pouratian, MDNader Pouratian, MD
It’s mostly our philosophy that when we’re putting in the electrode, getting the electrode in the pe...
Do medical schools offer low-cost surgeries?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Medical schools may offer reduction in surgeries. The distinction between cosmetic and reconstructiv...
What Factors Should I Consider When Having Multiple Plastic Surgeries?