How can I manage pain after colorectal surgery?

In the immediate postoperative period of colorectal surgery, you will receive some form of analgesia that you can control, termed Patient Controlled Anesthesia ("PCA"). This may be a device with a button you push to deliver intravenous medication to yourself, or in the form of an epidural catheter, with the same opportunity to self-administer additional pain medication. The epidural catheter is similar to that placed in women who are in labor and is very safe. It seems to block the input of pain sensation, and therefore, if effective, will block the response to pain. Once you are able to take pain medicine by mouth, these other methods will be removed. Interim forms of pain management include intravenous or intramuscular injections given by the nursing staff.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

What You Need to Know About Anesthesia
What You Need to Know About Anesthesia
If you’re planning to undergo surgery or a medical procedure in the near future, you probably have questions. People often wonder if their procedure w...
What questions should I ask when meeting a robotic surgeon?
Reston Hospital CenterReston Hospital Center
Patients should ask their surgeons how frequently they perform robotic surgeries, among other consid...
How can I explain what surgery is to my children?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
To explain what surgery is to your children, tell them that surgery is a procedure that people have ...
What Type of Plastic Surgeries Can Be Combined?