How can I manage pain after colorectal surgery?

In the immediate postoperative period of colorectal surgery, you will receive some form of analgesia that you can control, termed Patient Controlled Anesthesia ("PCA"). This may be a device with a button you push to deliver intravenous medication to yourself, or in the form of an epidural catheter, with the same opportunity to self-administer additional pain medication. The epidural catheter is similar to that placed in women who are in labor and is very safe. It seems to block the input of pain sensation, and therefore, if effective, will block the response to pain. Once you are able to take pain medicine by mouth, these other methods will be removed. Interim forms of pain management include intravenous or intramuscular injections given by the nursing staff.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

Scared About Surgery? Here’s How to Ease the Fear
You might be surprised by the power a Popsicle can wield when it comes to reassuring kids who need surgery. That’s a tip from Alexander Soutter, MD, ...
Is spine surgery safe?
Dr. Don Y. Park, MDDr. Don Y. Park, MD
Spine surgery today is safe and effective if done for the right reasons, for the right person and fo...
Do I need to stop taking medications before deep brain stimulation surgery?
Nader Pouratian, MDNader Pouratian, MD
The surgery or the stimulation works best when people are off their medications. For the day of surg...
Is Disk Replacement Safe?
Is Disk Replacement Safe?