Q

Surgical Procedures

How can I manage pain after colorectal surgery?

• How can I manage pain after colorectal surgery?
    Different kinds of medicines can help manage pain after colorectal surgery. Watch this video with Michael Lilly, MD, of Englewood Community Hospital, to learn more about your options.
  • How Can I Manage Pain after Colorectal Surgery?
    New medications applied to the local area help manage pain after colorectal surgery for cancer, says Ovunc Bardakcioglu, MD, a colon and rectal surgeon at Sunrise Hospital. In this video, he describes local anesthetics that now last up to three days.
  • In the immediate postoperative period of colorectal surgery, you will receive some form of analgesia that you can control, termed Patient Controlled Anesthesia ("PCA"). This may be a device with a button you push to deliver intravenous medication to yourself, or in the form of an epidural catheter, with the same opportunity to self-administer additional pain medication. The epidural catheter is similar to that placed in women who are in labor and is very safe. It seems to block the input of pain sensation, and therefore, if effective, will block the response to pain. Once you are able to take pain medicine by mouth, these other methods will be removed. Interim forms of pain management include intravenous or intramuscular injections given by the nursing staff.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
What side effects can colorectal surgery have on my sex life?