How can I manage pain after anorectal surgery?

Your pain management in the hospital after an anorectal surgery will consist of regional anesthesia (spinal or epidural), local anesthesia (anesthetic injected in and near the operative site), as well as oral pain medicines. You will be discharged with a prescription for pain medicine, which may be a narcotic, an anti-inflammatory agent, and perhaps metronidazole (Flagyl), an antibiotic that may minimize pain. It is important that you follow your physician's instructions for pain control and that you prevent becoming constipated. If you do not have a bowel movement within 3 days following your operation, you should call your physician's office for further recommendations. Sitz baths help reduce rectal spasms and allow cleansing of the area.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

Tips to Help You Prepare for Surgery
Tips to Help You Prepare for Surgery
According to sports psychologist John Murray, PhD., the more success an athlete has achieved, the more likely it is that he or she will experience dep...
What are the benefits of prehabilitation?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Prehabilitation may be of benefit to people with poor physical fitness by improving postoperative re...
Can I take my medication as usual before surgery?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Before surgery, it may be extremely important for you to continue some of your medications such as t...
What Type of Plastic Surgeries Can Be Combined?