How is cryosurgery used in oncology?

Samar Nahas, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Cryosurgery refers to the freezing of an affected area, previously used to treat pre-malignancy and other cervical conditions. Samar Nahas, MD, from Riverside Community Hospital elaborates on cryosurgery and its new-age replacement in this video.

Cryosurgery in oncology uses liquid nitrogen to freeze pre-cancerous and cancerous cells. Cryosurgery is often used to prevent the development of cancers on the penis, skin, and cervix. It may be used to treat liver and prostate cancer. Oncologists use CT scan or ultrasound imaging during the procedure so that they can zero in on abnormal cells and refrain from killing healthy ones.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

What You Need to Know About Anesthesia
What You Need to Know About Anesthesia
If you’re planning to undergo surgery or a medical procedure in the near future, you probably have questions. People often wonder if their procedure w...
When should I call my doctor after nasal surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
After your nasal surgery, contact your doctor right away if you have:Change in visionFever over 101 ...
What is minimally invasive surgery for pediatric procedures?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
Doctors use minimally invasive surgery when possible, including for pediatric procedures. Minimally ...
What Factors Should I Consider When Having Multiple Plastic Surgeries?