How is cryosurgery used in oncology?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Cryosurgery in oncology uses liquid nitrogen to freeze pre-cancerous and cancerous cells. Cryosurgery is often used to prevent the development of cancers on the penis, skin, and cervix. It may be used to treat liver and prostate cancer. Oncologists use CT scan or ultrasound imaging during the procedure so that they can zero in on abnormal cells and refrain from killing healthy ones.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

What is endoscopic mucosal resection?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Our surgeons treat patients with very early esophageal cancer with endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR...
What happens after face transplant surgery?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Immediately after face transplant surgery, the face transplant recipient will be taken to the In...
Why is deep brain stimulation surgery performed in multiple stages?
Nader Pouratian, MDNader Pouratian, MD
Deep brain stimulation surgery is a two-stage procedure. The first surgery is done while you're awak...
What Factors Should I Consider When Having Multiple Plastic Surgeries?