How can laparoscopic gastric sleeve surgery help with weight loss?

The gastric sleeve procedure removes a portion of the stomach, as well as one of the main hunger hormones. In this video, bariatric surgeon Marina Kurian, MD, explains how a gastric sleeve works for weight loss, and how portions are impacted.  
Curtis L. Peery, MD
Surgery
Gastric sleeve surgery removes 80 to 85 percent of the stomach and creates a long, thin tube to help regulate appetite and intake. Learn more by watching this video featuring Dr. Curtis Peery of Sanford Health, who's been performing gastric sleeve surgery for eight years.

During a sleeve gastrectomy, or gastric sleeve, a sleeve-shaped tube is created from a small portion of the stomach, and most of the stomach is removed. Food passes through this tube directly into the intestines. Nutrients and calories are absorbed from food normally, but patients feel full sooner and stay full longer.

Sleeve gastrectomy is performed laparoscopically and can be a permanent surgical solution to manage weight.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

Tips to Help You Prepare for Surgery
Tips to Help You Prepare for Surgery
According to sports psychologist John Murray, PhD., the more success an athlete has achieved, the more likely it is that he or she will experience dep...
What should I expect during nasal surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Nasal surgery usually takes between 1 and 2 hours. Most people go home the same day.You will be give...
When should I call my doctor after thoracic surgery?
Presbyterian/St. Luke's Medical CenterPresbyterian/St. Luke's Medical Center
I will see all my patients one to two weeks after surgery. They should call for any signs of infecti...
Is Disk Replacement Safe?
Is Disk Replacement Safe?