How long does deep brain stimulation surgery take?

Nader Pouratian, MD
Neurosurgery
It takes several months to get set up for deep brain stimulation surgery. On the day of surgery itself, we do the surgery in two stages. In the first stage of the surgery, we do the brain implant, and that takes anywhere from about four to six hours, and we have a second-stage surgery. It’s about two weeks later.

We bring you into our outpatient surgery center and do a one-hour surgery to actually implant the generator. It could take about three months to really do the programming and get the benefits, so it’s a long-term commitment. You are tied to the center that’s implanting you because you need the therapy, you need the programming, and you need the medical management as well.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

What You Need to Know About Anesthesia
What You Need to Know About Anesthesia
If you’re planning to undergo surgery or a medical procedure in the near future, you probably have questions. People often wonder if their procedure w...
What are the benefits of outpatient bone marrow transplantation?
John P. Chute, MDJohn P. Chute, MD
There are three key benefits to outpatient bone marrow, or hematopoietic cell, transplantation. 1...
What has made outpatient bone marrow transplantation possible?
John P. Chute, MDJohn P. Chute, MD
Knowledge regarding bone marrow (hematopoietic cell) transplantation has increased over the past 20 ...
What Factors Should I Consider When Having Multiple Plastic Surgeries?