How is a fistulotomy performed?

During a fistulotomy, the physician surgically opens the fistula, flushes out its contents, and stitches it open or leaves it as is to heal. Part of the surgery usually requires cutting a small section of anal control muscles. Depending on the location of the fistula, there is some risk of developing minor fecal incontinence, however skilled surgery will minimize damage to this area.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

Busting Organ Donation Myths
Busting Organ Donation Myths
This summer Jeni Stepien walked down the aisle in Swissvale, PA, arm-in-arm with the man whose life was saved 10 years ago by her murdered father’s do...
How do I prepare for a Wada test if I have diabetes?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
The following are special instructions for taking the Wada test (a routine procedure for patient...
How is submucous reduction of the inferior turbinates performed?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
To reduce the size of the turbinates (bones inside your nose), the surgeon makes a small incision th...
What Factors Should I Consider When Having Multiple Plastic Surgeries?