Can esophagectomy be done with minimally invasive techniques?

Lyall A. Gorenstein, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
Minimally invasive esophagectomy involves removal of the esophagus and lymph nodes just as in open surgery for esophageal cancer. Columbia surgeons are pioneers in minimally invasive esophagectomy (MIE), and train surgeons around the world in MIE techniques. Our program uses MIE for 80% of esophageal procedures. We perform all of these procedures using minimally invasive approach, although open surgery may be more appropriate depending upon the patient's clinical characteristics and the location of the diseased portion of the esophagus.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

Tips to Help You Prepare for Surgery
Tips to Help You Prepare for Surgery
According to sports psychologist John Murray, PhD., the more success an athlete has achieved, the more likely it is that he or she will experience dep...
What are challenges involved in hand transplantation?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
The first successful hand transplant was performed in France in 1998, with the United States followi...
How do I prepare for a Wada test if I have diabetes?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
The following are special instructions for taking the Wada test (a routine procedure for patient...
What's the Best Time of Day for Surgery?