How can a doctor see how to do surgery when there is so much blood?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
During surgery us surgeons control the bleeding either with a burning or coagulation device or by hand ligation of larger vessels. There should be minimal blood loss during surgery and a Board Certified surgeon is trained and experienced to prevent hemorrhage. During the operation tissue is released and dissected and bleeding is reduced in a controlled manner. In some surgeries where blood loss may be greater due to vascular tissues, autologous blood products may be placed on hold for necessary transfusion purposes.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

Will I need a drain after my adrenal surgery?
American Association of Endocrine SurgeonsAmerican Association of Endocrine Surgeons
Patients rarely require drains after adrenal surgery; however, if the surgeon thinks it is necessary...
Are there procedures when a patient is not under general anesthesia?
Chippenham Hospital - HCA VirginiaChippenham Hospital - HCA Virginia
Not using general anesthesia is limited to minimally invasive procedures that rely on sedation and l...
What are the benefits of laparoscopic surgery?
Kelly A. Kogut, MDKelly A. Kogut, MD
A shorter recovery time is the major benefits of laparoscopic surgery, says Kelly Kogut, MD, in pedi...
Do I need to stop taking medications before deep brain stimulation surgery?
Nader Pouratian, MDNader Pouratian, MD
The surgery or the stimulation works best when people are off their medications. For the day of surg...