Can I exercise after deep brain stimulation surgery?

Nader Pouratian, MD
Neurosurgery
You can exercise after deep brain stimulation surgery. The whole reason why we do this surgery is to improve your quality of life and get you to do the things that you always wanted to do, like swim, exercise, and everything else. I have one patient who is treated for tremor who is regularly surfing, skateboarding, and doing all kinds of other things. So yes, we want you to do all those things.

Now, you need to keep it down a little bit for the first two weeks after the surgery while you’re healing, but other than that, we encourage that you do everything. The only things that might be limited are deep-sea diving, as well as jumping out of a plane, but most people don’t want to do that.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

Busting Organ Donation Myths
Busting Organ Donation Myths
This summer Jeni Stepien walked down the aisle in Swissvale, PA, arm-in-arm with the man whose life was saved 10 years ago by her murdered father’s do...
How does the Kasai procedure treat biliary atresia?
The Kasai procedure treats biliary atresia by allowing bile to flow again. This surgical procedure c...
What are the risks of hand transplant surgery?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Any type of surgery presents risks, but there are certain risks that tend to be specific to hand...
What Factors Should I Consider When Having Multiple Plastic Surgeries?