What are the benefits of the Mazor Robotics System in spinal surgery?

The benefits of the Mazor Robotics Renaissance Guidance System are that spine surgery is both more precise and less invasive (and therefore less painful).

Traditionally, spinal surgery is exceedingly painful because of the dissection, which exposes the areas of the spine for placement of pedicle screws freehand. By using the Mazor Robotics Guidance System, the surgeon makes an incision that is just a centimeter long, uses a guide that is about the diameter of a pencil to place the screw and uses a high-speed drill to anchor the pedicle. The speed of the procedure means less surgical time, which is always better for the patient.

The robot allows for nearly perfect trajectory to place these screws into the spine, avoiding all concerns people have such as being paralyzed, damaging a nerve, or having a severe amount of pain after surgery. The robot really guides the surgeon’s hand. The surgeon is still needed, so we haven’t become obsolete yet, but the robot has perfected this portion of spine surgery to make pedicle screw placement nearly perfect.

Furthermore, the robot allows the surgeon to minimize the amount of radiation that the patient is exposed to during the surgery. Traditionally, spinal surgery has required a lot of x-rays. With robotic technology, there is just one x-ray to start, one x-ray at the end and the rest of it is without x-ray.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

Scared About Surgery? Here’s How to Ease the Fear
You might be surprised by the power a Popsicle can wield when it comes to reassuring kids who need surgery. That’s a tip from Alexander Soutter, MD, ...
What is the fistula procedure?
Harsha Vittal, MDHarsha Vittal, MD
A fistula is a tract between the lumen of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract to an outside organ. In th...
What medications should I take after nasal surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
After your nasal surgery, your surgeon will prescribe medications to help you recover. These may inc...
What Factors Should I Consider When Having Multiple Plastic Surgeries?