How can I minimize scarring after surgery for cancer?

Scar tissue forms following a surgery as your body heals. Scarring closes the incision(s) but may prevent return of movement and function. Massaging and mobilizing the scar will help with regaining skin mobility, decrease muscle tightness, and also decrease sensitivity of the scar and tissue surrounding it. The following should be done daily:
  • Apply lotion to the scar. Lotions containing vitamin E and cocoa butter are recommended.
  • Using your fingertips, rub the scar with firm, deep pressure as tolerated.
  • Use a circular motion across the length of the scar.
  • Sideways and up and down motions may also be used.
  • Massage the skin around the scar as well.

Continue Learning about Surgery For Cancer

What is the future of percutaneous ablation?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
"I think the next generation of doctors will be doing more ablative technologies," said Dr. Del Pizz...
What does surgery for cancer involve?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
Surgical cancer treatment means removing cancerous tissue from the body. Surgery may be used to conf...
The Art and Science of Surgery
The Art and Science of Surgery
How Can We Use Visualization to Prevent Chronic Illness?