How can I prevent an antibiotic-resistant infection?

Antibiotic use promotes development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria. Every time a person takes antibiotics, sensitive bacteria are killed, but resistant germs may be left to grow and multiply. Repeated and improper uses of antibiotics are primary causes of the increase in drug-resistant bacteria.

While antibiotics should be used to treat bacterial infections, they are not effective against viral infections like the common cold, most sore throats and the flu. Widespread use of antibiotics promotes the spread of antibiotic resistance. Smart use of antibiotics is the key to controlling the spread of resistance.

Continue Learning about Superbugs

Must-Know Facts About MRSA
Must-Know Facts About MRSA
As an ER doctor, I’m used to seeing difficult, antibiotic-resistant infections in patients. But historically those were patie...
What can be done to combat drug resistant bacteria?
If someone is infected with a resistant strain, doctors are forced to resort to using antibiotics pr...
Where Did Superbugs Come From?
Where Did Superbugs Come From?Where Did Superbugs Come From?Where Did Superbugs Come From?Where Did Superbugs Come From?
Antibiotic-resistant bacteria may change the health landscape—for good.
The Antibiotic Crisis Leading to Superbugs