How can one person's antibiotic-resistant disease affect the community?

Antibiotic resistance has been called one of the world's most pressing public health problems. Almost every type of bacteria has become stronger and less responsive to antibiotic treatment when it is really needed. These antibiotic-resistant bacteria can quickly spread to family members, schoolmates and co-workers—threatening the community with a new strain of infectious disease that is more difficult to cure and more expensive to treat.

For this reason, antibiotic resistance is among the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) top concerns.

Continue Learning about Superbugs

The Rising Spread of Drug-Resistant Superbugs
With a sinking stomach, I scrolled through my patient’s medical record, down the list of antibiotics that could do nothing to help her get well. Her i...
What can I do to prevent spread of drug resistant bacteria?
Lisa Dumkow, PharmDLisa Dumkow, PharmD
Consumers are an important part of the solution to preventing the spread of drug resistant bacteria ...
Where Did Superbugs Come From?
Where Did Superbugs Come From?Where Did Superbugs Come From?Where Did Superbugs Come From?Where Did Superbugs Come From?
Antibiotic-resistant bacteria may change the health landscape—for good.
The Cause of Antibiotic Resistant Superbugs