What is the UV index?

The ultraviolet (UV) index tells you how much UV radiation, the part of the sun's light that causes a sunburn, is in your environment on a given day. The UV index uses a scale of 1 to 11+ and breaks down like this:

1 = low risk of sunburn
3 to 5 = moderate risk
6 to 8 = high risk
11+ = extremely high risk

Getting too much UV radiation can burn your skin and raise your risk of skin cancer. You can protect yourself by wearing a high SPF sunscreen and protective clothing, and by staying out of the sun on high-UV days.
uv-index
The UV (ultraviolet) index is a measure of the level of UV radiation from the sun. The values of the index range from zero upward. The higher the UV index, the greater the potential for damage to the skin and eye, and the less time it takes for harm to occur.

Continue Learning about Sunburn Prevention

The New Science of Sun Protection
The New Science of Sun Protection
Got a love-hate relationship with your sunscreen? You’re not alone. We plunk down nearly $400 million a year on sun-care products in bottles, cans, tu...
How can I protect my body in the sun?
You can protect your body in the sun by wearing long sleeves and a wide-brimmed hat. Use a sunsc...
How can I protect my child's skin from the sun?
Ronald Cotliar, MDRonald Cotliar, MD
Here are some tips to protect your child's skin from the sun: Use sunscreen year-round, even whe...
How Much Sunscreen Should I Wear Every Day?