How has new technology made sunscreen application less of a hassle?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
New technology has made sunscreen application less of a hassle. A couple years ago, fine mist sprays began to allow you to apply sunscreen to your own back and help you get it on your kids' skin as you chased them around. The newest delivery system called wash-on uses encapsulated active sunscreen ingredients in a cleanser. Because the sunscreen is positively charged, it has a magnetic attraction to the skin (which has a natural negative charge), so the active ingredients cling to your face and stay there. Right now, the products provide an SPF of only up to 15, so they aren't enough for a day at the beach. But this could be an easier way to incorporate sun protection into a daily routine, especially if you have oily skin and like to wash it in the morning. Since it's not a lotion or cream, this innovative formulation doesn't leave a sticky, greasy residue.
Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Sunburn Prevention

The New Science of Sun Protection
The New Science of Sun Protection
Got a love-hate relationship with your sunscreen? You’re not alone. We plunk down nearly $400 million a year on sun-care products in bottles, cans, tu...
How can I protect my body in the sun?
You can protect your body in the sun by wearing long sleeves and a wide-brimmed hat. Use a sunsc...
What can I do to prevent sun damage?
Dr. Cybele Fishman, MDDr. Cybele Fishman, MD
You can prevent sun damage by wearing a hat/sunglasses, sunscreen and SPF clothing; there is also an...
Can a sunburn be prevented?
Yes, a sunburn can be prevented. It takes a little preparation, but it will help you avoid the damag...