How do I protect myself if I need to be in the sun during peak hours?

If you have to be in the sun during its peak hours (from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.), protect yourself by wearing clothing that's light but still covers most of your skin and a wide-brimmed hat, and don't forget to protect exposed skin by applying sunscreen. Choose a sunscreen that has a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of at least 15. Reapply your sunscreen every two hours, or after swimming or sweating heavily. Try to find a sunscreen that protects your skin from both UVA and UVB rays. Finally, remember to wear sunscreen on cloudy days, too, because UV rays come through the clouds.

Use a sunscreen and wear protective clothing to safeguard your skin from the sun's harmful rays.

Continue Learning about Sunburn Prevention

Are Your Meds Making You More Prone to Sunburn?
If you take certain medicines, you may also want to take some extra precautions before heading out into the sun. That’s because some drugs have the li...
What protection ingredients protect against both UVA and UVB?
Certain sunscreen ingredients protect against both UVA and UVB radiation. These include oxybenzo...
How can my child avoid sun damage?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Doctors recommend the following guidelines to help protect your children from the harmful effects of...
Can a Sunburn Be Prevented?
Can a Sunburn Be Prevented?