How can I protect my body in the sun?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

You can protect your body in the sun by wearing long sleeves and a wide-brimmed hat. Use a sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 30 and reapply often. Also look for one that is labeled "broad spectrum" so that it will protect you from both ultraviolet A (UVA) and ultraviolet B (UVB) radiation. Remember that even these measures won't completely protect you, so you should avoid being in the sun for a long period of time, especially during the sunniest part of the day. Talk to your dermatologist for more information.

Continue Learning about Sunburn Prevention

How do zinc oxide and titanium dioxide protect me from the sun?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Both zinc oxide and titanium dioxide are physical blockers of UV sunlight. This means they sit on to...
Can a sunburn be prevented?
Yes, a sunburn can be prevented. It takes a little preparation, but it will help you avoid the damag...
How should I apply sunscreen?
Catherine Balestra, MDCatherine Balestra, MD
Sunscreen needs to be applied correctly to achieve that maximum sun protection advertised on the sun...
How Much Sunscreen Should I Wear Every Day?