How can I protect my body in the sun?

You can protect your body in the sun by wearing long sleeves and a wide-brimmed hat. Use a sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 30 and reapply often. Also look for one that is labeled "broad spectrum" so that it will protect you from both ultraviolet A (UVA) and ultraviolet B (UVB) radiation. Remember that even these measures won't completely protect you, so you should avoid being in the sun for a long period of time, especially during the sunniest part of the day. Talk to your dermatologist for more information.

Skin damage caused by overexposure to the ultraviolet rays of the sun can be prevented by using sunscreen that protects both ultraviolet A and ultraviolet B rays (UVA and UVB).  The animation shows more about sun damage to the skin.

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
Like sunglasses, the right kind of clothing provides an effective physical block to the sun. But a white T-shirt won't do much good; it has an SPF of only 5 (and when wet it goes down to SPF 2). Darker colors absorb more light, and tighter-constructed fabrics are better barriers. I think UV-protective clothing is just as important as sunscreen, and it's an easy way to make sure that you and your kids are protected when you're outside. (It's also a smart idea to wear a sun-protective swimsuit). Sun-protective fabric is engineered specifically to block and absorb ultraviolet light. It has a tight, nonporous weave (usually lightweight polyester, nylon, cotton jersey, or linen), and the material is infused with sunscreens (such as titanium dioxide and zinc microfibers). Another option is to wash your regular clothes with SunGuard, a laundry additive that treats fabric with the sunscreen Tinosorb. When added to detergent, it provides the clothing being washed with approximately 96 percent UPF protection.
Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Sunburn Prevention

The New Science of Sun Protection
The New Science of Sun Protection
Got a love-hate relationship with your sunscreen? You’re not alone. We plunk down nearly $400 million a year on sun-care products in bottles, cans, tu...
Do I need to wear sunblock when I’m driving?
HealthCorpsHealthCorps
With summer just around the corner, it’s time to start using broad spectrum UVA/UVB sun block on all...
Does sunscreen prevent sunburns?
While sunscreen helps to minimize damaging sunburns, it doesn't completely prevent burning. You ...
How Much Sunscreen Should I Wear Every Day?