Will a base tan help me prevent a sunburn?

There is no such thing as a healthy, safe tan -- getting a "base tan" is just as damaging to skin as a sunburn. In this video, I will explain how the only way to get a safe tan is with self-tanning products or makeup. 

A base tan might give you an SPF of 4. So if it took 20 minutes for your untanned skin to burn, then you might burn after 80 minutes with a base tan. This doesn't mean you will automatically "prevent" a sunburn, though. You can get a sunburn even if your skin is darker. Also, tanning is not a safe method of prevention. Tanning causes skin damage and aging, and can be linked to skin cancer. So, it is far better to use a sunscreen to avoid a sunburn than a base tan.

Continue Learning about Sunburn Prevention

Are Your Meds Making You More Prone to Sunburn?
If you take certain medicines, you may also want to take some extra precautions before heading out into the sun. That’s because some drugs have the li...
What sunscreen will best prevent a sunburn?
Daniel R. Spogen, MDDaniel R. Spogen, MD
A water resistant sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 15 or higher with  zinc oxide will...
How can I protect my body in the sun?
You can protect your body in the sun by wearing long sleeves and a wide-brimmed hat. Use a sunsc...
Can a Sunburn Be Prevented?
Can a Sunburn Be Prevented?