Will a base tan help me prevent a sunburn?

There is no such thing as a healthy, safe tan -- getting a "base tan" is just as damaging to skin as a sunburn. In this video, I will explain how the only way to get a safe tan is with self-tanning products or makeup. 

A base tan might give you an SPF of 4. So if it took 20 minutes for your untanned skin to burn, then you might burn after 80 minutes with a base tan. This doesn't mean you will automatically "prevent" a sunburn, though. You can get a sunburn even if your skin is darker. Also, tanning is not a safe method of prevention. Tanning causes skin damage and aging, and can be linked to skin cancer. So, it is far better to use a sunscreen to avoid a sunburn than a base tan.

Continue Learning about Sunburn Prevention

Sunburn Prevention

Sunburn Prevention

Spending time outside can be fun, but painful sunburn isn't. At all times of the year -- even on cloudy days -- sun protection from the sun's harmful UV rays is needed. Step one is sunscreen or sunblock with a high SPF. (And don't ...

forget to reapply!). The sun's UV rays are strongest during the middle of the day so your risk for sunburn is higher, despite using sunscreen and taking other protective measures. Get more information about protecting your skin from sun damage with expert advice from Sharecare.