Why is it important to apply recommended amounts of sunscreen?

Numerous studies show that sunscreen users apply just one-fifth to a one-half the quantity of sunscreen the maker recommends. When someone applies only 25% of the ideal amount of SPF 30, the sunburn protection on the skin is actually only 2.3. Someone who applies SPF 100 sparingly can wind up with a functional SPF as low as 3.2. In the real world, these products are less effective than T-shirts, which generally have an SPF of 5.

Continue Learning about Sun Care

Ways to Keep Your Skin Safe
Ways to Keep Your Skin Safe
Tom Brady may be the winningest QB in NFL history (207 wins over 19 years) but that doesn’t make him infallible. In his 2017 audaciously-titled book, ...
Are tanning beds dangerous?
Susan EvansSusan Evans
In 2009, the World Health Organization (WHO) listed tanning beds in its highest category of sour...
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
From sunburns to melasma, here's how to beat the heat.
As a Teen, What Should I Do About a Bad Sunburn?