What types of clothing provide sun protection?

The tightness of the weave, the weight, type of fiber, color, and amount of skin covered all affect the amount of protection that clothing provides from the sun. In general, clothing made of tightly woven fabric best protects skin from the sun. The easiest way to test if a fabric can protect your skin is to hold it up to the light. If you can see through it, then ultraviolet (UV) radiation can penetrate it -- and reach your skin. Clothes may also be treated with UV-absorbing chemicals, such as titanium dioxide, providing additional protection.

Continue Learning about Sun Care

How to Choose and Use Your Sunscreen
How to Choose and Use Your Sunscreen
On an episode of Seinfeld, Jerry and Newman discover Kramer asleep on the roof, shirtless, on a very sunny day. “Oh man,” Kramer says when they wake h...
In wintertime, do I still need to apply sunscreen after I cleanse my skin?
Everyone should apply sunscreen daily. In the wintertime, when less skin is exposed, you can focus y...
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
From sunburns to melasma, here's how to beat the heat.
All Day Protection
All Day Protection