What tanning lotions should I avoid?

Some lotions and creams contain oils that increase your skin's ability to absorb UV rays, speeding up the tanning process. But this is dangerous, and you should be protecting your skin from the sun's UV rays, not over-exposing it. Look on the label for a sun protection factor, or SPF, of 15 or higher.

Use a sunscreen and wear protective clothing to safeguard your skin from the sun's harmful rays.

Continue Learning about Sun Care

Can Music Therapy Help Ease Parkinson's Symptoms?
When Michael J. Fox rocked out on Johnny B. Goode with Cold Play during a concert at New Jersey’s MetLife Stadium in July 2016 it was wonderful to hea...
How much exposure to the sun is good for me?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
There is no "safe" amount of sun exposure, as the sun can harm the skin any time. However, in this v...
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
From sunburns to melasma, here's how to beat the heat.
Can Sunburns Be Prevented?
Can Sunburns Be Prevented?