Q

Sun Care

What are the safest ingredients in sunscreens?

• The least harmful active ingredients in sunscreens include titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, and avobenzone, according to the Environmental Working Group (www.cosmeticsdatabase.com).

Neither zinc oxide nor titanium dioxide is associated with skin irritation or sensitization in humans. Studies have found no evidence of skin penetration of titanium dioxide and only limited penetration for zinc oxide. Sunscreens containing these two agents alone are generally recommended for children, because of their lack of skin penetration.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
Should I use a sunscreen that contains the insect repellant DEET?