What are the FDA’s guidelines for sunscreen labels?

The FDA has determined that consumers need far more clarification when it comes to what these products can do. So if you buy a product for sun protection, look for the following:

Broad spectrum—In order to claim this, a product must contain a certain percentage of blocking agent that reduces exposure to both UVA and UVB rays, so you have some protection against wrinkling/aging and skin cancers.

SPF—If the SPF of a product is 15 or less, it will now have to indicate that because of this lower number, it has not been shown to protect against skin cancer.  Remember that SPF represents the product’s ability to protect against skin’s reddening or burning for “x” amount of time.

Use as directed will now be spelled out—Use an ounce at least each time you apply to your body; apply 15 minutes prior to sun exposure; re-apply every two hours if you’re dry, otherwise follow the specific guidelines if you get wet.

Waterproof can no longer be used—It can say water-resistant for “x” amount of time with a recommendation of re-application intervals.

Look for some indication that the product you use is now following the new guidelines.

Continue Learning about Sun Care

Can Music Therapy Help Ease Parkinson's Symptoms?
When Michael J. Fox rocked out on Johnny B. Goode with Cold Play during a concert at New Jersey’s MetLife Stadium in July 2016 it was wonderful to hea...
Should I tell my doctor I am using sunscreens?
If you have a skin condition or any other condition that is affected by exposure to sunlight, ta...
Should doctors help parents teach children about sun protection?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Sun protection is so important, but many parents are still missing the mark when it comes to sun...
How Often Should I Reapply Sunscreen If I Am Outdoors All Day?