Q

Sun Care

Why should I use skin products with SPF to protect my skin?

• A , Dermatology, answered
    Protecting the skin daily with SPF helps guard the skin from the sun and other environmental factors. If a day moisturizer does not contain SPF, then use a sunscreen/sun block on top of the skin. More and more cosmetic companies are formulating make-up such as foundation and powder that have SPF and may offer some sun protection. Powder make-up can also contain minerals that are physical sunscreens, and can offer some protection, as well. Some foundations contain chemical sunscreens that also offer protection.

No matter what product you use, the skin must be protected from the sun to avoid photoaging including age spots, premature aging, and sunburns, and the best way to accomplish this is to apply a sunscreen product that has been properly tested to offer both UVA and UVB protection.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
How can I use sunscreen effectively to protect my skin?