Why are tanning salon tans more hazardous than natural suntans?

Both natural sunlight and tanning salons are hazardous. Tanning beds have a higher concentration of UVA rays than sunlight. Although UVA rays are less likely to cause burns, people who have ever tanned indoors are 55% more likely to develop malignant melanoma, which is a potentially deadly skin cancer. Natural sunlight additionally has UVB rays, which can also lead to skin cancer and are more likely to cause burns. It is best to avoid tanning salons and limit exposure to natural sunlight. If you plan to be outside be sure to apply sunblock to protect your skin from the sun's rays.

Continue Learning about Sun Care

How do sunscreens prevent skin damage from the sun?
Sunscreens protect the skin from ultraviolet (UV) rays in two ways: chemically and physically. ...
Why is it important to apply recommended amounts of sunscreen?
Environmental Working Group (EWG)Environmental Working Group (EWG)
Numerous studies show that sunscreen users apply just one-fifth to a one-half the quantity of sunscr...
Do I have tanorexia?
Susan EvansSusan Evans
Anytime someone is dealing with a compulsive disorder they should seek help from a professional. Peo...
Why should I use skin products with SPF to protect my skin?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
Protecting the skin daily with SPF helps guard the skin from the sun and other environmental fac...