How does tanning in a tanning bed damage the skin?

Getting a tan from a tanning bed has only negative effects on your body. Using a tanning bed damages your skin and increases the risk of skin cancer, including melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer. When you get a tan from a tanning bed you are exposing your skin to ultraviolet (UV) radiation. UV exposure increases the risk of premature skin aging, deep wrinkles, and serious skin cancers.

Continue Learning about Sun Care

Will lip gloss protect my lips from the sun?
Susan EvansSusan Evans
Some dermatologists consider applying lip gloss as sun protection the equivalent of sunbathing after...
Should I use a sunscreen that contains the insect repellant DEET?
Phillip J. Landrigan, MDPhillip J. Landrigan, MD
it is strongly recommended that you don’t use a product which combines a sunscreen with an insec...
What is the safest way to get a tan?
Dr. Jill K. Onesti, MDDr. Jill K. Onesti, MD
There is no safe way to get a tan. While tanning is part of the body’s process to try to protect bod...
Do Sunless Tanners Work?
Do Sunless Tanners Work?