My skin is dull and sun damaged, what can be done?

Tara Whitworth
Nursing
If your skin is dull and sun damaged, you might consider a resurfacing treatment. Skin resurfacing refers to the removal of the top layer of skin to reveal the healthier skin underneath. This is useful in treating wrinkles, scars, dark spots, and other effects of sun and aging. There are several different skin resurfacing techniques, including laser treatments, dermabrasion, and chemical peels. Your physician can help you determine the technique that is right for you.
Patricia Farris, MD
Dermatology

Dull skin can be remedied by a good exfoliator. This is because dull skin occurs when dead skin cells are stuck on the surface of the skin. When these cells are removed by exfoliation the skin reflects light and looks radiant. Try using a granular scrub or cleanser containing glycolic acid or lactic acid. In office procedures like light chemical peels or microdermabrasion are also great for improving skin tone and texture.   

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology

Microdermabrasion. This is the most superficial procedure, so it won't provide much in the way of long-lasting benefits, but it smoothes and brightens the skin beautifully with absolutely no downtime. This is the procedure to have done before a big event (even right before your wedding).

Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Sun Care

Can Music Therapy Help Ease Parkinson's Symptoms?
When Michael J. Fox rocked out on Johnny B. Goode with Cold Play during a concert at New Jersey’s MetLife Stadium in July 2016 it was wonderful to hea...
What are the FDA’s guidelines for sunscreen labels?
HealthCorpsHealthCorps
The FDA has determined that consumers need far more clarification when it comes to what these produc...
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
From sunburns to melasma, here's how to beat the heat.
Can I Take a Pill to Protect My Skin Against Cumulative Sun Exposure?