Is it safe to get a tan?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Don’t get a tan, either from the sun or from tanning booths.
Tanning booths are not safe. Studies have shown an increase in the risk of skin cancer in young people who use tanning booths. A tan is the body’s defense against the sun. To get a tan, the skin must be damaged. There is no such thing as a healthy tan. A tan is always a sign of sun damage. If you like the color of a tan, try one of the hundreds of sunless tanning products now available on the market.

Continue Learning about Sun Care

How to Choose and Use Your Sunscreen
How to Choose and Use Your Sunscreen
On an episode of Seinfeld, Jerry and Newman discover Kramer asleep on the roof, shirtless, on a very sunny day. “Oh man,” Kramer says when they wake h...
My skin is dull and sun damaged, what can be done?
Patricia Farris, MDPatricia Farris, MD
Dull skin can be remedied by a good exfoliator. This is because dull skin occurs when dead skin cell...
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
From sunburns to melasma, here's how to beat the heat.
How Often Should I Reapply Sunscreen If I Am Outdoors All Day?