Is it safe to get a tan?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Don’t get a tan, either from the sun or from tanning booths.
Tanning booths are not safe. Studies have shown an increase in the risk of skin cancer in young people who use tanning booths. A tan is the body’s defense against the sun. To get a tan, the skin must be damaged. There is no such thing as a healthy tan. A tan is always a sign of sun damage. If you like the color of a tan, try one of the hundreds of sunless tanning products now available on the market.

Continue Learning about Sun Care

Can Music Therapy Help Ease Parkinson's Symptoms?
When Michael J. Fox rocked out on Johnny B. Goode with Cold Play during a concert at New Jersey’s MetLife Stadium in July 2016 it was wonderful to hea...
Do African Americans and people with dark skin need to use sunscreen?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Darker skin can get sunburned. It may be more difficult to see the immediate effects of a sunburn, b...
What should I avoid while using sunscreens?
When using sunscreens, avoid getting the product in your mouth, nose, or eyes. Seek emergency me...
Can I Take a Pill to Protect My Skin Against Cumulative Sun Exposure?