Is it safe for my teenager to get a fake tan?

Teenagers coveting bronzed skin are likely to sunbathe or patronize tanning salons. Researchers believe that increasing UV exposure may have caused the marked increase in melanoma incidence noted among women born after 1965. Tanning salons expose the skin to as much as 15 times more UV radiation than the sun and likely contribute to the melanoma increase.

Self-tanning, or sunless tanning, products are not a good alternative. Many chemicals in self-tanning products have not been tested for safety. Dihydroxyacetone, a self-tanning chemical most frequently found in these products, is not approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use around the eyes. 

To parents of teens: Be good role models -- let your teen see that you protect yourself from the sun. Having a tan does not mean a person is healthy.

Continue Learning about Sun Care

Can Music Therapy Help Ease Parkinson's Symptoms?
When Michael J. Fox rocked out on Johnny B. Goode with Cold Play during a concert at New Jersey’s MetLife Stadium in July 2016 it was wonderful to hea...
Are there any alternatives to sunscreen for the face?
Try to limit your exposure to the sun especially between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., whic...
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
From sunburns to melasma, here's how to beat the heat. Hot, humid, tropical weather can lead to major skin problems. Too much time in the sun can caus...
Can I Take a Pill to Protect My Skin Against Cumulative Sun Exposure?