How can I teach my kids the importance of sun protection?

There is a lot of effort by the American Academy of Dermatology to do this. It's very difficult, as "tanning" has been glorified in the media. I think we are doing a better job as the younger generation is more aware that the sun not only causes skin cancer but contributes to the signs of aging. I recommend starting early. When your kids or grandkids are young, get them to wear sunscreen and make it a part of their routine. Explain to them the dangers of indoor tanning and tanning beds -- especially teenagers.

Continue Learning about Sun Care

How to Choose and Use Your Sunscreen
How to Choose and Use Your Sunscreen
On an episode of Seinfeld, Jerry and Newman discover Kramer asleep on the roof, shirtless, on a very sunny day. “Oh man,” Kramer says when they wake h...
When should I use sunscreen?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
Ideally, kids should have sunscreen on any time they're exposed to the sun for any period of time. I...
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
From sunburns to melasma, here's how to beat the heat.
As a Teen, What Should I Do About a Bad Sunburn?