How can I find out about the sun safety policy at my child's school?

Sometimes school and daycare policies interfere with children’s sun safety. Many schools treat sunscreen as a medicine and require written permission to use it on a child. Some insist that the school nurse apply it. Some ban hats and sunglasses. Here are a few questions to ask your school:
  • What is the policy on sun safety? Will sunscreen be applied to my child's face, arms and any other exposed areas when playing outside? If my child is old enough, can he apply it himself?
  • Is there shade on the playground?
  • Are outdoor activities scheduled to avoid midday sun? 

Continue Learning about Sun Care

Ways to Keep Your Skin Safe
Ways to Keep Your Skin Safe
Tom Brady may be the winningest QB in NFL history (207 wins over 19 years) but that doesn’t make him infallible. In his 2017 audaciously-titled book, ...
Do any pharmaceuticals make one more vulnerable to the sun?
HealthCorpsHealthCorps
Certain antibiotics that are used to typically treat acne and urinary tract infections; Accutane, wh...
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
From sunburns to melasma, here's how to beat the heat.
Are Waterproof Sunscreens Effective?
Are Waterproof Sunscreens Effective?