How can I find out about the sun safety policy at my child's school?

Sometimes school and daycare policies interfere with children’s sun safety. Many schools treat sunscreen as a medicine and require written permission to use it on a child. Some insist that the school nurse apply it. Some ban hats and sunglasses. Here are a few questions to ask your school:
  • What is the policy on sun safety? Will sunscreen be applied to my child's face, arms and any other exposed areas when playing outside? If my child is old enough, can he apply it himself?
  • Is there shade on the playground?
  • Are outdoor activities scheduled to avoid midday sun? 

Continue Learning about Sun Care

Is sunscreen safe for my one-year-old?
It’s generally safe to use sunscreen after babies are six months old. However, keeping babies out of...
Is the sun more reflective in the summer or winter?
The sun’s reflective powers are greater in the winter than they are in the summer because the sun ...
How often do I need to reapply sunscreen while playing sports?
Reapply sunscreen about every two hours--more often if you're sweating a lot, swimming or toweling o...
Do Sunless Tanners Work?
Do Sunless Tanners Work?